Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Arrival in Haiti

My flights from Minneapolis to Chicago, to Miami, to Port au Prince were smooth and without incident, though I must say that the joy I used to experience in flying has been replaced by a profound sense of frustration since all the security measures have been installed. When I arrived at Toussaint Louverture International Airport, some of the smoothness disappeared. Gene had forgotten to send me the address of the guest house where I was to stay. Immigration would not let me proceed to the luggage area without the address, and the person who was to meet me could not get from baggage claim to immigration. There was a 30 minute standoff until they relented and let me through to find my greeter.

The drive to the guest house was almost an hour, through streets still littered with year-old earthquake detritus. I am staying in a very nice guest house, in a dormitory-style room and a shared bathroom. The gates are locked at 8:00 p.m., so the nights will be early. It seems that everyone gets up well before six to enjoy the coolness of the morning before the unrelenting heat arrives. Gene has planned a full day for me today. I will try to add some photos when I get back tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the "standoff" ended well and without restraints. Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading your blog. Thanks for keeping us informed. You are doing a good thing and we are proud of you.

    ReplyDelete