Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday

We are just entering the rainy season, and it has rained each night since I got here. But last night was exceptional. A monsoonal rain came in torrents for several hours. It washed gullies in the already bad roads and flooded the ravines. In Gene and Jan's sturdy house, the furniture was almost afloat! We heard from neighbors this morning that several people died when their houses washed away.

I spent much of the day today at the IT office working on the web site. It was hot and humid there, but we got a lot done. Gene and Jan are having a dinner party for 11 tonight in their tiny two room apartment, two of whom are Haitian and speak no English. Jan has been studying Creole since she got here (and studied it when she was here 10 years ago), and is becoming quite fluent. We will depend on her to translate.


I walk on a 10 acre plot of church property each morning for about an hour. I start at 6:00 so as to finish when it is still quite cool. It is about a half mile to the gated yard; walking there is much better than walking the rough road. It is cleaner, quieter and much smoother.








The guest house in which I reside has 5 dormitory style rooms with 2 bathrooms shared between them. I have had the luxury so far of having a room to myself, but several teams of volunteers arrived today, and tonight I will have 3 or 4 roommates.

No comments:

Post a Comment